Our work in the news.
Interview with Het Financieele Dagblad about brain science in the media (in Dutch): click here.
An article about our research on the role of emotions in decision making at the UvA website.
Jan’s talk on overconfidence in social media at the NATO Stratcom Dialogue.
Our 2019 paper on metacognition in reinforcement learning
- Eureka Alert – When it comes to learning, what’s better: The carrot or the stick?
- University of Geneva – When it comes to learning, what’s better: The carrot or the stick?
Our 2019 paper on the impact of incidental affect on trust
- Psychology Today – Negative emotions may make us trust less
- Psych Central – Negative emotions can make you less trusting
- Science Daily – Negative emotions can reduce our capacity to trust
- UvA News – Negative emotions can reduce our capacity to trust
Our 2018 paper on social analgesia.
- MSN – Why strangers provide better pain relief
- Inverse – Strangers show unexpected effect of pain relief in tests of Xenophobia
- NY Post – Strangers help reduce pain better than familiar faces
- Neuroscience News – The soothing effects of strangers
- Technology.org – Strangers from different cultures have a soothing effect
Our 2016 paper on dishonesty.
Our 2016 paper on Learning Empathy (with Grit Hein, Phil Tobler and Marius Vollberg) in the press:
- Psychology Today – Understanding others
- Psychology Today – Your brain can learn to empathize with outside groups
- Wiley Psychology Updates – Experiences that teach empathy?
- Yahoo News – Empathy can be learned by sharing positive experiences
- Science Daily – Empathy with strangers can be learned
- Psychcentral – Study shows empathy for strangers can be learned
- Medical Daily – Empathy is triggered by positive experiences among strangers
- de Volkskrant – Is empathie aan te leren?
- EOS Wetenshap – Empathie met vreemdelingen is aan te leren
- Radboud University – Empathie met vreemdelingen is aan te leren
- Vox – Meevoelen met vreemdeling kun je leren
- scinexx.de – Mitgefühl mit Fremden kann man lernen
- VBIO (in German) – Mitgefühl für Fremde kann man lernen
- Kopfvoll.de – Empathie ist erlernt nicht verloren
Our 2009 paper on financial advice from experts (with Greg Berns, Monica Capra and Charles Noissair) in the media:
- NY Times – Why we make bad decisions
- New Scientist – Brain quirk could help explain credit crunch
- The Times Online – Study: brain switches off rationality when given ‘expert advice’
- The Telegraph – Financial advice makes the brain ‘follow blindly’
- CNN – Is brain glitch to blame for financial crisis?
- Wired Science – Given “Expert” Advice, Brains Shut Down
- Psychology Today – The value of advice
- Dr Joan Bushwell’s Chimpanzee Refuge – When given expert financial advice, people’s brains grow dull
- Neuronarrative – What Does Expert Advice Really Do to Our Brains?
- Neatorama – Why “Expert” Advice Suddenly Makes Us Stupid
- 80beats – “Expert” But Bad Financial Advice Turns Off Decision-Making in the Brain